Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Tin Cup

Mark's comment last night about all the possible environmental factors that could affect your risk of getting cancer made me think about a feeling I've had the last couple of weeks. I've been thinking about the movie Tin Cup, with Kevin Costner. At the beginning of the move his character is a happy go luck local golf pro with a great swing and a pretty laid back attitude. He initially meets the Rene Russo character who has adopted a whole menagerie of crap to help her golf swing. Crazy hat, rods hanging down from her hat, a device to keep her knees in synch through the swing, etc.

I've had that feeling about getting cancer. Two weeks ago I was feeling very healthy and had pretty good confidence in my body's ability to do what I wanted it to do. Getting a bit slower on the soccer pitch, the ice rink and in the pool but  basically still able to do all the things I want to do physically. Eat reasonably, moderate the consumption of stuff that can be bad for you in excess and in general, it was pretty easy.

Now I can see a million things to think about. Where to live, what to eat, how to manage stress, what supplements to take, blah, blah,  blah. I can see a path where I'll be like the character in Tin Cup - devoid of all confidence in my body's ability to take care of itself, micro-managing and second guessing all my life style choices - and never knowing if it's making me healthier or not.

That's not a path I want to go down so I must find a way to some moderation in all this! Do the best I can wrt to diet, lifestyle, etc.  But not get so focused on that stuff that I give up on all the fun things there are in the world...

No comments:

Post a Comment