So with all that preamble, the results of the week were pretty good. Compare my blood work from today vs. a week ago:
- ANC # from 300->1800 (6 x improvement and back into normal range, which is 1680 < x < 6160)
- WBC from 1420->3080 (> 2 x improvement, much closer to the low end of normal which is 3830)
The downside of this added protocol was that it made me feel slightly blechy. When your bone marrow is making that many new WBCs, you can get some side effects. One of them is bone pain, which can be pretty uncomfortable but I didn't experience that. What I did experience was some nightly rise in body temperature. My temp has been running around 97.5 in the morning and I've been taking it pretty religiously because a spike in body temperature is a strong indicator that you're getting an infection. A couple of nights last week I was running around 99.5 before going to bed. In both cases I took some Ibuprofen and my temp was down in the morning. So nothing really bad but just another of the set of minor yuckys (yes, that is a word - at least in my vocabulary!) to deal with.
I'm hopeful that this dose will keep me in a good place in terms of blood chemistry for the rest of my treatments. We'll see!