Monday, May 17, 2010

Life imitating art - my port is erupting through my skin

A bit of bad news this morning. Peter the Power Port is trying really hard to come out through my skin. The oncologist is worried that I will get an infection through the port. That's A Bad Thing - having an infection in your chest when your WBCs are on vacation can lead to lots of problems.

So, I'm getting the port out on Wed. Then heal up for a week and then get a PICC line. This is a less optimal solution for getting infusions - the line goes into your upper arm but the port itself is outside your skin. So you have to wrap it before taking a shower, can't do much with your upper arm, etc. Which sucks. But better than getting an infections, getting really sick and having my chemo schedule disrupted. So that's what we're going to do. The good news is that with the port out the minor swelling in my left arm will go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment