Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Day +22 - bike dad

We've all heard of soccer moms  - throwing the kids, gear, folding chairs into the car and trundling everyone over to the soccer field to watch the great machinations of youth soccer games. Today I did the biking equivalent of that and was a bike dad. Susan and I packed up her road bike and we went up to NCAR in South Boulder. This is a nice road for doing hill work. It's got a 2000 meter long climb that climbs about 500 vertical feet with grades of from 3-8%. You can do as many as you want, as hard as you want and regroup at the top with other folks in your group. This past winter they made a bigger breakdown lane on the uphill side of the road so the road is extremely bike friendly. We timed our outing to coincide with our Tuesday work lunch ride. I perched a folding chair at the top of the climb in the NCAR parking lot and cheered on Kevin, Tony, Bob and Susan as they did their hill work. In between bike sightings, I got to enjoy the chaos of watching elementary school kids on their field trip go all jihad on each other during their lunch break. Gives you a renewed sense for how much work elementary school teachers do! Anyway, it was great to see the guys from work and support Susan as she starts up her training for the Copper Triangle in August.

This afternoon I did get out for a small run. Double the distance from Friday and almost a min/mile faster. So quantitatively I'm definitely improving! And today is the first day that I think I'll make it through the whole day without a nap. Woo-hoo! Not that naps aren't great, but when you have to have one to get through the day its a bit of a drag. Oops, here it is, 2:30 in the afternoon, feeling like crap, guess I need a nap. Today I managed to get through that period ok - another big milestone to get ready to rejoin the land of the living. I seem to remember that most adults can actually make it through the work day without napping so that's my goal!

Tomorrow we're in early to see the doctor, get my blood counts and hopefully, graduate from the program and get my line removed. I certainly feel better every day so I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll get released for more activities after tomorrow.

That's it for now! Off to watch some soccer on TV and rest up after my grueling .98 mile run :)

No comments:

Post a Comment