Friday, April 15, 2011

Day +18 - on the way back to the world

Morning, all. Day +18 and we're back in the doctor's office for a short visit to check my counts. My whites are still going up, reds going up, platelets still edging down a bit. Hopefully by Monday my platelets will start coming up. I've got to get to a platelet count of 50 (I'm at 16 right now) before I'm free to do things like ride my bike or drive a car so that's the next big milestone.  Everyday I'm feeling a bit better and I am starting to approach feeling "normal" - whatever that means. The current schedule is that I'll get my line removed next Wed and will graduate from the program. Yeah!

This morning I felt chipper enough to do a run. 1/2 mile at a whopping 14:58/mile pace. Whoa! Brisk walkers will exceed this pace but it was the first sustained run I've done in a month so another big milestone. My heart definitely noticed the work - I was close to 170 by the end of the run. Here's the graph of this baby workout (click the image for a more viewable version):

And I liked the juxtaposition of 3 Teat Pete and the heart rate monitor:


And while we're on the subject of slightly inappropriate body pictures, here's what happens when you get  a shot in your tummy and your platelets are at 8:





I've finally started to get some taste and appetite back. The simple pleasures of enjoying a bowl of cereal are now mine to savor:


Well, that's it for today. Off for a walk with Susan and then back to the casa for some coding. Happy Friday!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Geo - I have been following your recovery and am glad to hear you are getting back to healthy. Keep up the amazing attitude - it is inspirational!

    Just out of curiousity, what is the blue line in your workout graph?

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin, good to hear from you! Hope things are going well in your world. The blue line is pace, min/mile. So I was rocklin' the 14:30 min miles. Right up there with the slugs, sloths, centipedes and turtles! But I've also started kicking the soccer ball around in the backyard. I hope your schedule settles down and we can both get back on the pitch for the fall season. That would be great fun. I can't wait to taunt opposing forwards that they've gotten their asses kicked by a geezer with a new immune system!

    ReplyDelete