Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Back to work for me and George's trek (by Susan)

I'm back at work this week after all the craziness and worry of last week.   Work is its usual self, but it has been hard to concentrate with George at home and me worrying about his health.    I'm glad that George decided to take a leave from his job - now he can just concentrate on getting better.  I think that fresh air, walks, naps, good food, meditation and positive visualization are all going to help him get through this last month and then get back to the fully functional Geo.    I gave him a positive visualization this morning that I got from my little Unity book about divine light inhabiting every cell in his body.  It made me feel better just to read it! 

George did telll me a great story today that just illustrates what an all around great guy he is.  He is trying to walk every day to get his lung function back.  When he came home from the hospital he couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without gasping and wheezing.  So the doctor told him on Monday that he should be doing some exercise to help increase his oxygen uptake.  He recommended walking and going up stairs.  George immediately interpreted this as "walk several miles each day then go to the gym and do the Stair Master for 3 hours".  

He started walking each day - about 1/4 mile his first day back from then hospital, then 1/2 mile, then 1 mile, etc.  Today while I was at work he walked 5 1/2 miles - up from our house to Harper Lake, then around Davidson Mesa, then back to the house.   I was amazed!  When I asked him how he did it, he just said, "Put some sunblock on, carried water in my Camel Bak, and carried Shot Blocks with me in case my blood sugar got low."    So, our intrepid George went forth on his trek across Louisville, fully geared up and prepared like a Boy Scout!    I just thought that was such typical George that it made me laugh, then it made me kind of cry for a minute.  Because in spite of all the crap that has happened to him this year he is still Geo.  I don't know how else to explain it.

The daily exercise plus rest plus the steroids definitely seem to be helping. He is talking much better, coughing less, and getting better color (probably a tan from 3 hours out in the sun today). 


I did get out for a run myself this evening - I need to remind myself that I need to keep exercising and doing what I can to relieve my own stress.   And then I imagined the white light flowing through my cells too and it all felt better.

Only 24 days to go before chemo is over .... we are tearing off the pages one by one.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see that you yourself are also doing exercise and meditation, in addition to George's "modest" recovery plan of walking "only" five miles! May the Universal-Force-For-Good-In-The-Cosmos be with you two always these final 24 days and beyond. We remain steadfast in prayer. Peace and blessings, healing and health, love and peace, etc., etc. (And don't forget to add a supersize dose of laughter and fun! Now that you're in the final stretch.)

    ReplyDelete